2005 marked the beginning of Ohio’s largest cultural project in history when the Cleveland Museum of Art entered an 8-year expansion and renovation project. The architects of this $350 million project had no intention of utilizing spray foam until they discovered saturated, ineffective fiberglass in portions of the existing walls.
Designed by award-winning, Manhattan-based Rafael Vinoly Architects, the project involves the addition of the new East and West Galleries, as well as a grand glass enclosure over the atrium courtyard. The additions will increase the museum’s floor space by roughly 65 percent for a total of 592,000 square feet. The project also includes the complete renovation of the museum’s original 1916 Beaux-Arts Building and 1971 Marcel Breuer Building.